Residents are invited to review and submit comments on the draft plan before the Township’s Parks Committee finalizes it for Township Board consideration.
Cascade Township, Michigan, Nov. 3, 2022 – Cascade Township is seeking community feedback on a draft five-year master plan that outlines a blueprint for parks, pathways and green spaces in the township.
The parks and recreation master plan will help ensure the Township's parks and recreation support its goals, meet the needs of residents and contribute to a high quality of life in the community. The plan is the result of input from residents and other stakeholders and provides a road map for growth, maintenance and policy to keep up with the changing needs of the community.
Residents are invited to review and submit comments on the draft plan before the Township’s Parks Committee finalizes it for Township Board consideration. The plan is available for review on the Township’s website and at Cascade Township Hall, 5920 Tahoe Drive SE, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Friday. The public feedback period ends Friday, Nov. 25.
“Cascade is home to many wonderful parks, quaint green spaces and scenic pathways, and we’re grateful for the residents who have shared their thoughtful feedback on how to make these features even more enjoyable for all,” Cascade Township Planning Director Brian Hilbrands said. “The input we have received so far has shaped a solid blueprint, and we hope community members will continue to share their feedback as we work to bring the plan to life.”
Comments should be emailed to Hilbrands at email@example.com or submitted in person at Township Hall. For questions, call Hilbrands at 616.949.0224.
Community members also can review and provide feedback on the master plan during an open house set for 4:30-6:30 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 10 at the Wisner Center, 2870 Jacksmith Ave. SE. Two concepts for the new Wycliffe Trailhead Park also will be available for review and comments, and Township staff and members of the Parks Committee will be on hand to answer questions and collect feedback.
In December 2021, Township staff and the Parks Committee partnered with local design and engineering firm Troyer Group to help develop the parks and recreation master plan. In August 2021, the project group collected community input from nearly 1,000 residents, businesses and other stakeholders through a survey and open house.
Community stakeholders indicated their top priorities include maintaining existing parks and pathways, expanding the pathway system and developing new parks and facilities.
The parks and recreation master plan includes goals, strategies and action items based on community feedback. The goals include:
· Ensure existing parks and pathways meet the needs of the community they serve.
· Identify and create future pathway routes connecting to existing community amenities and neighborhoods, adjacent communities and regional trail systems.
· Refine the Township’s parks organization structure and support.
· Identify and implement appropriate funding mechanisms to acquire property, improve and maintain parks, add amenities and hire staff to support the parks and pathways system.
· Preserve natural resources and open space within the township.
· Collaborate as appropriate to develop a central, green gathering space integrated with the downtown village development as outlined in the Cascade Township strategic plan.
· Identify space for new community parks, preservation areas and open space to serve the growing population and preserve natural features and character of the township.
· Increase public awareness and use of parks, programs and facilities.
· Develop parks programming to provide greater opportunities for recreation, education and experiencing nature.
After the public comment period ends, the Township Board will hold a public hearing before considering the plan’s adoption during its Dec. 14 meeting.
To learn more about the parks and recreation master plan, click here.