Cascade Township, Michigan, Sept. 27, 2022 –
The Cascade Township Board has unanimously adopted a five-year strategic plan for the township that outlines tasks and priorities for five key areas and is the result of a yearlong community engagement process.
The community engagement included input from a total of nearly 2,000 residents, businesses and other stakeholders through surveys, focus groups and workshops. The Township partnered with local planning firm McKenna to engage the community and develop a strategic plan that prioritizes actions to be taken by the Township’s boards, commissions, committees and staff for the next five years.
“We are beyond grateful for the Cascadians who dedicated their time and energy to share their thoughtful feedback and help shape important initiatives for the future of our community,” Cascade Township Supervisor Grace Lesperance said. “The input we received was a crucial foundation for a successful and cohesive strategic plan, and I know it will give us the resources and structure needed to execute the desires of residents and other community stakeholders.
“We look forward to working with the community to bring the plan to life and make Cascade an even better place to live, work and play.”
The strategic plan centers on five categories that each have ranked priorities – all created by community feedback. The categories and top priorities are:
- Parks and trails – Ensure existing parks meet the needs of the portion of the community they serve.
- Land use and economic development – Create a gathering place for the township.
- Village character and development – Populate boards and commissions with residents who represent the diversity of the township and ensure those who serve receive training and support to be effective in their roles.
- Preservation of the Thornapple River – Expand the sustainability and environment section of the master plan to describe actionable steps for Thornapple River preservation.
- Transportation and safety – Enhance road safety and streetscapes in the Cascade Village area to promote a safe, well-connected, walkable and bikeable village environment.
After adopting the plan, the Township Board approved a proposal from McKenna to assist in the ongoing implementation of the strategic plan through an implementation committee. The strategic plan is intended to begin immediately with a multipronged process for the next five years. The Township’s boards, commissions, committees and staff have assigned timeframes to ensure the tasks are completed as outlined in the strategic plan.
In addition to residents and the business community, the Township and McKenna engaged with the Township Board, Planning Commission, Downtown Development Authority, Parks Committee and Township staff to gather feedback for the strategic plan.
“Throughout our strategic planning process, we have come together as a community to determine the Township’s goals – and how we are going to reach them together,” Cascade Township Manager Ben Swayze said. “We encourage members of our community to continue to walk alongside us as we put the plan into action and begin these exciting projects.”
The strategic plan is available here
. For more information on the strategic planning process, click here.